Geelong is currently undergoing an economic transformation. Ensuring the local community is aware of the opportunities for economic and social growth in creative industries is a key purpose for the newly established Creative Geelong Inc.
What are creative industries?
The Creative Industries generally include activities associated with software and interactive content, film, TV and radio, publishing, architecture, visual arts and design, advertising, public relations and marketing services, and music and the performing arts.
Some initial data analysis conducted in collaboration with Enterprise Geelong / City of Greater Geelong (CoGG) and the Geelong Region Local Learning Employment Network has highlighted the following (Census 2011).
Total number of creative jobs provided in the CoGG Local Government Area (LGA):
- Information Media and Telecommunications: 828
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services: 3,952
- Arts and Recreation Services: 1,185
- Total number of creative industry jobs in CoGG LGA: 5,965
With 95,399, total number of jobs provided in CoGG LGA - 6.3 percent of all jobs provided are within the creative industries sector.
For more information please look at our Environmental Scan of the Creative Industries project
Who are we?
In late 2015, a group of interested people met to formalise the incorporation of Creative Geelong Inc. After our AGM in February 2017, our Board members include:
- Dr. Fiona Gray, Civic Collective -- President
- Jennifer Cromarty, Committee for Geelong -- Secretary
- Wayne Elliott, Netgain -- Vice President
- Luisa LaFornara, Geelong After Dark/Pako Festa -- Treasurer
- Sarah Auld, Auld Planning & Projects -- Committee member
- Ian Priddle, Codeacious -- Committee member
- Fiona Lee, Rogue Academy -- Committee member
- Leigh Bartlett, BATForce -- Committee member
What do we do?
Creative Industries are enabled by digital technology and access to the internet. The digital economy is impacting on how we work, live, learn and communicate and the creative industries need to be recognised as a genuine economic cluster and gain support through local strategic planning.
Creative Geelong Inc has been formed to work on:
- Understanding work of the future
- Telling stories of Geelong's creativity
- Being a forum for local creative collaboration
- Solving problems in our community
There are a range of projects we are currently developing and we will be seeking support from government, business and community to collaborate and partner with us.