MAKERS HUB AT CENTREPOINT
What is the Creative Geelong Makers Hub?
"This space is not about 'desks' - it's about a place where people who care about their community can come together to contribute. It's about people who want to make an impact to other people's lives. It's about bringing people together from different disciplines (from science and art to tech and design) to encourage collaboration and new business building. Its long-term sustainability will hinge on getting people who have shared values about Geelong's creative potential. People who access the space would participate, promote and develop the program of events and activities together." -- Jennifer Cromarty, President, Creative Geelong Inc
The Creative Geelong Makerspace in the Mall is a range of spaces housed in Centrepoint Arcade the Little Malop Street Mall and includes:
- MakerSpace with 3D printers, laser etchers, small electronics, industrial sewing machines and other 'maker' equipment for use via a paid subscription model
- CoWorkSpace for coworking desks for rent daily and monthly that will target professional services tenants (media, PR, architects, marketers, designers) to support the rental needs of the premises and provide administration, strategic advice and coordination to the creative industries hub
- StudioSpace - a studio / workshop for artists/makers and artist groups who have a focus on inclusion and making for social engagement
- WindowSpace - local artist community engaged to activate a range of shopfronts and arcade display windows in the Arcade
- LearnSpace - larger areas for events and workshops/programs to be held
The spaces support commercial and not-for-profit organisations and individual makers and creators with the shared aim to cultivate an emerging ecosystem that promotes Geelong's future as a creative city, as well as revitalise the Mall and encourage more foot traffic to activate Central Geelong.
By placing all of these elements together in one space, it will provide an energy and sustainability to the creative industries precinct and encourage collaboration among industry, stakeholders (especially youth and those who are disadvantaged), networks, government and community. This project also has the potential to create a pipeline for new ideas and start-ups to further support the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Coworking and MakerSpaces are also part of the City of Greater Geelong's Digital Geelong strategy, aimed at supporting and developing a vibrant and engaged 'Maker' and 'Creator' community.
Centrepoint Arcade is ideally located between Little Malop St and Ryrie Streets and offers several linked spaces to commence the project with room to expand in the coming months. This space has potential to become a significant creative hub with low cost rental space on offer for creative businesses to expand into.
Creative Geelong has received two years of funding from the City of Greater Geelong to support this project.
The MakerSpace is a place where people can come together to use, and learn to use, materials as well as develop creative projects. Makerspaces promote learning through play and are places that can be used for a range of activities with flexible learning goals and creative purposes. The Creative Geelong MakerSpace will provide access via subscriptions and programs to a range of tools and equipment for designing and creating, using devices such as 3D printers, a laser etcher, soldering irons, an industrial sewing machine and overlocker, as well as a range of electronics (Raspberry Pi, Arduino).
For more information and pricing to access the MakerSpace please click here.
To to pay for an Access Card to MakerSpace, please click here
Coworking spaces are shared areas for people who want to work flexibly using digital platforms. Most coworking spaces are used by micro businesses, people who telecommute or want an 'outside of business as usual' work environment. The Creative Geelong CoWorkSpace can be accessed on a daily or monthly basis or you can buy a $100 CoWorkSpace Multi Access Card card for 5 sessions.
More details on the CoWorkSpace can be found here.
StudioSpace & WindowSpace
Our StudioSpace is available to artists and makers who want to have place to work that is affordable and accessible. We provide space for storage of art equipment, access to a sink, recording space and the opportunity to work on artworks in the Atrium of Centrepoint Arcade. Part of the Makers Hub project is also activating a range of shopfronts and window displays. Local artists are invited to join our team of creatives as they review and create displays. If you are interested in our StudioSpace, please contact us here.
A range of workshops and programs are being developed. Please check our Facebook page for program updates.
MakerSpace workshops will include:
- Introduction to Making Series: Raspberry Pi, Arduino and 3D Printing
- 3D Printing: Printing existing models
- 3D Printing: Designing a model on paper
- 3D Printing: Digitising a model using CAD
- Maker Skills: Learn to Solder with LED Fun
General workshops will include:
- Digital animation
- Social media and digital strategy
- Art therapy
- Portfolio development for VCE students
- Bespoke Moccasin making
If you would like to run/develop your own workshop at the Makers Hub, please complete this expressions of interest form.